Register a death
When a loved one passes away it is a legal requirement for a death to be registered at the registrars. A death certificate will need to be collected from the bereavement centre at the hospital.
If a loved one has passed away at home the death certificate will need to be collected form the deceased’s GP, we will guide you and contact the GP to arrange this.
Who can register a death?
- A relative of the deceased
- The person taking responsibility for the funeral arrangements
- Anyone who was present when the person passed away
- Someone who lives at the address where the person passed away
Information the registrar needs
- The date of passing
- Address or place of passing
- Full name including any previous names
- Place of birth and date of birth
- The person registering the death full name and address
- The registrar will then issue the Certificate for Burial or Cremation (also know as the green form). We will require this